Canadian Transplant Games
Since 2000, the Canadian Transplant Games have been a showcase for transplant recipient athletes from across the country to enjoy the competition and camaraderie while celebrating a second chance at life.
These national games are Canada’s largest organ donation awareness event and purpose of the games is to:
- Increase organ donation in Canada and beyond
- Demonstrate the active, healthy lifestyle that may be achieved following transplantation
- Promote the success of organ donation and transplantation
- Offer hope to the thousands of Canadians on transplant wait lists
- Provide an opportunity to thank donors and donor families for their precious gift of life
- Raise awareness and educate, and encourage the public to consider organ donation
- Create a Games environment that is built on the contributions, skills and collaboration of community volunteers, corporate sponsors and all levels of government
- Leave a legacy of volunteerism, community spirit and organizational development that will have a lasting value to all involved
The Canadian Transplant Games, held every two years, is a family oriented event. In addition to the competition for recipients there are activities designed for family members and other supporters. The games are usually 6 days in length, and include Opening Ceremonies and many special events throughout the week, a donor/donor family recognition, and Closing Ceremonies followed by a Gala dinner and dance.